The firm supports exciting progressive candidates and non-profit clients across the country. You can read more about us and some of our clients on our website. Fireside Campaigns works to transform our country into one that truly lives by the best values that it professes. We’ve personally expressed our commitment to diversity, equality, and inclusion through our work on behalf of progressive clients and movement partners since the day we were founded. We understand that we’ve sometimes fallen way short of ensuring that same diversity within the ranks of our own firm and are actively seeking to remedy it. That is why we are redoubling our commitment to promoting racial equity inside our organization, its operations, and its management processes. We want Fireside to be a place where everyone feels welcome, everyone has an environment where they can feel confident and safe, and where everyone can succeed.
That is why equal employment opportunity is a guiding principle for us. We are committed to ensuring a workplace where employment and promotional opportunities are based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as established under law.
ABOUT THE ROLE
We are looking for a creative self-starter who is excited to learn about digital programming, and how it supports our clients’ especially email. You should be a strong writer who can turn things around on tight deadlines. More than anything, you should be excited to work with our clients and learn from our team.
Fireside Internships are open to anyone who is interested in learning more about a specific skill set and our field — they are not restricted to traditional, 4-year students.
This internship is for fall 2022, September 6-December 30 (start and end dates are negotiable based on needs). Interns should expect to work 15-40 hours per week.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist with email production for our various clients
- Write content that moves supporters to take action for various campaigns and causes
- Research issues and topics for use in clients’ digital programs
- Other duties as assigned
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Committed to Democratic or progressive values, causes, and politics
- Interested in digital communications
- Strong writer
- Enthusiastic about using digital tools like email to advance progressive candidates and causes
- Proficiency in Google Documents
ADDITIONAL SKILLS THAT WOULD BE USEFUL, BUT NOT REQUIRED:
- Experience with HTML or CSS
- Graphic design or familiarity with Canva
- Bilingual or multilingual (especially Spanish language proficiency)
SALARY, BENEFITS, AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
Salary: This is a temporary position that pays $18 per hour and includes Paid Time Off. At Fireside Campaigns, to ensure pay equity, all salaries are set in bands according to the expectations of the role. In other words, the hourly pay for this job is equal to others at the same level throughout the company. As a result, pay is not open to negotiation.
Working Hours: Interns will need to be available 12-4 p.m. ET from Tuesday, September 6 through Friday, September 9 for onboarding. You MUST be available for that time period in order to be offered the internship. After that, interns work a set schedule of 15-40 hours/week. Intern working hours are the same as our permanent staff — 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. local time Monday through Friday. Fireside does not offer internships outside of our working hours.
Location: Remote, anywhere in the U.S. We currently have an office in the Washington, D.C. area that is completely optional for staff in the area to work from.
This internship posting is for the fall — applications are due on Friday, July 22 at 8 a.m. ET.
In your application, we would like you to answer the following:
- Why do you choose to work for Democratic candidates and progressive causes? (25 to 100 words)
- How have you centered equity & inclusion in your own life? (25 to 150 words)
- Tell us what you would like to get out of an internship with us? (25 to 150 words)
- How do you feel that this internship will help you achieve your future goals? (25-150 words)
- Please share a writing sample you are proud of (a short essay, opinion piece, advocacy email, or other relevant material).
A cover letter is entirely optional and will be a small part of our evaluation.
Qualified candidates will participate in a series of interviews with a range of staff at Fireside Campaigns.
Fireside Campaigns believes that a diverse, inclusive staff is a fundamental strength. We’re committed to hiring people of all races, ethnicities, religions, ages, sexes, genders, sexual orientations, and gender identities. People of color, women, LGBTQ individuals, and members of other minority or marginalized groups are strongly encouraged to apply.