- Part-time staff copy editor (M-F, 1-5 p.m.; slight variation as deadlines require)
- Copy-edit and proofread for a group of outdoor adventure magazines and related media.
- Some fact-checking.
- Job does not include layout design.
- Position reports to copy chief.
College degree and at least two years’ copy-editing experience for magazine, newspaper and/or book publishing. Current or immediately previous job must be as a copy editor for newspapers, magazines or books. Applicants must take copy-editing and proofreading tests.
- Proficiency with AP Stylebook, Webster’s New World College Dictionary (Fifth Edition) and the use of in-house style manuals, and how they interrelate.
- Familiarity with Chicago Manual of Style.
- Experience working in Microsoft Word and Adobe InCopy, and accessing both in-house and cloud-based servers.
- Expertise in finding reliable fact-checking sources online.
- Demonstrated ability to reword for clarity while maintaining the author’s voice.
- Proofreading abilities vital; must ensure consistency and correctness in text, design, typography, and all other visual elements of complex, highly illustrated page layouts.
- Flexibility to interact gracefully with the staffs of several publications, each with unique aims and audience.
- Must be able to work quickly, manage a varying workflow, and juggle multiple assignments and deadlines.
- Must be able to sit and use a desktop computer for long periods.
- Must be able to communicate constructively with copy chief and fellow employees.
Traditionally, this role is located in our Maitland, Florida, office. But due to COVID-19, our workforce has the option of working remotely; this role will continue to remain flexible based on employee and employer needs. Candidates must live in the Central Florida area and be able to come in to the Maitland office for training and on an as-needed basis.
- Looking for: Copy Editor
- Location: Remote, but must live in Central Florida
- Compensation: TBD